Let’s bake the sunflower! I offer you a filling of chicken, cheese & mushrooms. You may use any other savory filling, just leave cheese. Sunflower pie is really an easy thing. But it looks so nice that you can even give it as a present for someone dear.
- 50 ml of warm water (36-38°C)
- 1,5 tsp of dry yeast (of good quality)
- 250 ml of warm milk (36-38°C)
- 450 g + 1 tbsp of all purpose flour
- 1 tsp of sugar
- 0,5 tsp of salt
- 50 ml oil
- 1 small egg for glazing (usually this amount of dough takes only 0,5 of egg)
- 400 g of boneless chicken breast
- 150 g of fresh mushrooms (champignons, porcini or scaber stalks)
- 100 g of onion
- 1 tsp of salt
- 0,25 tsp of grounded black pepper
- Frying oil
- 185 g of cheese (Edam, Gouda etc)
- 35 g of peeled sunflower seeds
- 2 tsp of poppy seeds
For decoration you may also use (replace or add) seeds of sesame, linen, pumpkin (peeled).
1. Knead the dough. Leave it to rise.
2. Slice chicken fillet and mushrooms, mince the onion. Fry chicken at high heat constantly stirring. Pieces should turn white – let them stay a little bit undercooked. Put ready chicken into a bowl and leave it to cool down. Add 0,5 tsp of salt to cold chicken and stir.
Fry mushrooms + onion + 0,5 tsp of salt + 0,25 tsp of black pepper at high heat constantly stirring until they are cooked through and the excess liquid has dried out.
3. Combine mushrooms with chicken.
4. Grate cheese.
5. When the dough will be ready, divide it in 2 parts. Put one of them back in a bowl and cover (so it won’t dry out). Roll the second one in a shape of disk, 32 cm. in diameter. Transfer it to a baking sheet covered with parchment paper (the disk will reduce to 30 cm).
6. Cover the dough with 120 g of grated cheese; don’t put it too close to the edge. Put chicken & mushrooms filling in the middle (leave ~4 cm. for shaping petals). Spread the rest of cheese over the chicken.
7. Roll the rest of dough into a 34-35 cm. disk. Cover the pie with dough and seal the edges.
8. Petals: make cuts with plastic knife. A cut should end 0,5 cm. before chicken filling. The distance between cuts is ~4-5 cm.
9. Shaping petal: seal the edge that will serve as a bottom of petal. Turn it and press the dough shaping a petal.
10. Seal the cuts next to chicken. This will prevent juice from leaking out.
11. Turn the stove on, 180°C, convection mode.
12. Mix the egg with fork. You’ll need ~1/3 to glaze the sunflower.
Put the rest of egg in a jar and store it in a freezer. When you’ll be baking pies next time, take the jar out of a freezer before kneading the dough. It will defrost at room temperature right in time.
13. Cover the pie with seeds. Bake sunflower for 30-35 min. Watch over the color of pie.