Extremely easy recipe of savory puff pastry – just buy high quality puff pastry dough and in half an hour you will get amazingly delicious triangles with spinach and cheese.
- 500 g of non-yeast puff pastry dough
- 150 g of deep frozen (or fresh) spinach leaves
- 1 small onion bulb (~50 g)
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 tbsp of lemon or lime juice
- A pinch of: ground black pepper and salt
- 1 egg
- 100 g of cheese (Edam or Gouda type)
- 2 tbsp of oil (for frying)
1. Take dough out of freezer and leave it on a table for 2-2,5 hours until it defrosts.
2. Slightly defrost frozen spinach leaves (microwave ~1 min. 600 W) – it’s easier to cut them. Cut spinach balls.
3. Mince onion and garlic and fry them in a pan (medium heat) ~4 min.
While onion and garlic are being fried, crack the egg and pour it in a glass, whirl with a fork a little bit to combine yolk and egg white. Dice cheese.
4. Add spinach, salt’n’pepper + lemon juice to a pan, continue frying ~5 min., occasionally stirring (we need to get rid of excess liquid). Now pour 2/3 of egg to spinach (1/3 you will need to brush onto the surface of triangles before baking). Stir and switch off the stove, when the egg has cooked through (less than a minute).
Cheese you can add to every triangle or add together with 2/3 of egg to spinach (cheese will melt a little and sharp edges will disappear).
5. Spread some flour on working surface (not more than 0,5 tsp, better less than more). Put a list of dough and roll it a little bit, to make it 1,5-2 times thinner. Cut in 8-10 squares. Put some filling on dough square (avoid dropping filling on borders of dough – otherwise filling will come out of triangles during baking process) and shape a triangle. After you make 4-5 triangles, turn on the oven, it should be preheated to 200°C (convection mode). And continue work with dough.
6. Cover backing sheet with parchment paper and put triangles on it. Triangles fit 1 baking sheet. Brush the rest 1/3 of egg onto surface of triangles. Bake puff triangles ~20 min. After the time has passed, watch after pastry – triangles should be golden brown like on my pictures.