This version of savory filling for pancakes brought my ex-husband into my life. Before we met, he had been studying in France for 4 years, so he insists that this is a French way. But who will forbid us to put French filling in Russian pancake? Let’s start!
Ingredients for pancakes:
- 0,5 l of milk
- 200 g of all purpose flour
- 2 big eggs
- 2 tsp of sugar
- 0,5 tsp of salt
- 4 tbsp of any flavorless oil
Ingredients for filling:
- 5 medium-sized eggs
- 150 g of cheese, f.e. Gouda or Edam
- 250 g of cooked chicken breast or any ham
If you don’t have cooked chicken fillet, take:
- 300 g of raw fillet of chicken breast
- 0,25 tsp of salt
- A pinch of black pepper
- Frying oil
- Some chopped onion leaves, dill, parsley or/and cilantro
Depending on how salty are your meat & cheese, you may need to add a pinch of salt to eggs.
I have a big frying pan, so it’s very convenient for me – I’m spread 1 egg between 2 pancakes. If your frying pan is smaller, you will need to meter eggs. But it will be easier to flip over a pancake.
1. Make batter for pancakes.
2. While the batter takes some rest, fry chicken fillet at high heat, in the middle of this process sprinkle some salt & pepper over it. Avoid overcooking chicken, ‘cause it will be too dry.
3. Dice or slice the cheese.
4. Fry pancakes (how to do it). Don’t brown them too much. Will do it in step 6.
5. Dice or slice fried chicken.
6. Put a pancake on a frying pan. Spread some cheese & chicken over it. Switch on the stove, we need medium heat (1000 W). Spread the egg over pancake and lean the pan to make it spread better.
Cover with the 2d pancake and slightly press it (the egg will join them and it will be easier to flip it over). Reduce the heat (500-800 W) and fry it uncovered ~1-2 min. The cheese will melt and the egg will be cooked through, at least 75%.
Gently flip this construction of layered pancakes over and fry at the same medium-low heat ~1-2 min. Russian pancake with French filling is ready for serving.