You can make small buns for profitroles, long buns for eclairs or bigger buns like I did. It will take less than 1,5 hours to make these yummy buns. If you make them once you will easily pass by any choux pastry for sale on your way. Because you will be using high quality ingredients according to your taste. By the way, when choux pastry has just cooled down, it is a little bit crispy.
Ingredients for choux pastry dough:
- 125 ml of water
- 125 ml of milk
- 100 ml of any oil with no taste
- 1,5 tsp of sugar
- A pinch of salt
- 150 g of all-purpose or bread flour
- 4 medium eggs (220-250 g)
Ingredients for whipped cream:
- 200 ml of cream, at least 33% fat
- 2 tbsp of powdered sugar
Berries or liquid jam (varenye):
- 100 g of raspberry or 4 tbsp of raspberry jam. You can replace raspberry with any other sweet berries you like – strawberry, blueberry or blackberry. The same you can do to jam if you are using jam instead of berries. I suppose passion fruit jam will suit this dessert excellent.
1. If you have just brought cream home, you need to put it in a fridge for at least 8 hours. If the cream was already in fridge – you can start cooking.
2. If you use berries – wash them. So they can dry on their own while you will be cooking.
3. Now you need to make buns. The recipe is here.
4. While freshly baked buns are cooling down, slice big berries like strawberry or fruits (kiwi, mango, pear, whatever you’ve chosen). Prepare whipped cream using this recipe. If buns are still warm – put whipped cream in the fridge.
5. When buns have cooled down, it’s time to fill them with cream and berries or jam. There are 2 ways you can make it:
a) simple way, the only suitable way for berries. Just cut the bun with a sharp knife, put berries or some jam and put whipped cream (I do it with a spoon).
b) let-guest-guess-what’s-inside way that suits only creamy fillers. You need pastry bag nozzle and 2 strong plastic bags (1 for jam, 1 for whipped cream). Turn the bun upside down and press the nozzle in the middle of bun. In theory the nozzle will enter the cavity and you’ll be able to put filling in the bun.
First you need to put some jam in the bun, then – some whipped cream. Turn the bun back in right position.