I have this recipe in my cook book for about 15 years. It had a long way to me from Germany via Nizhny Novgorod (Russia) and God only knows where it had been previously. I received it under the name “Chinesische Reispfanne” (Chinese rice-pan), well, the taste is a bit Chinese – sweet peaches and sauce together with meat and some salt. But why then one uses Indian spice mix, curry? Nevertheless this dish is one of my favorites.
Chicken curry with peaches is very easy and rather quick to cook. One should cook the rice for garnish separately, later we will top it with chicken curry. This dish can be easily stored in a fridge as it doesn’t lose its taste when one warms it up. By the way, chicken curry with peaches has a chance to be highly appreciated even by those who don’t like curry spice mix (tested on my mom).
- 800 g of chicken breast fillet
- 400 ml of 20% cream or coconut milk (choose what’s cheaper)
- 100-150 g of onion
- 1,5 tsp of curry powder
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 can of peaches halves, we will need:
- 250-300 g (5-6 pcs) of peach halves
- 200 ml of peach syrup from can
- 2 tbsp of starch
- Frying oil
- 50 g of corn seeds (frozen or canned)
Boil some rice for garnish.
1. Cut in small pieces chicken, chop onion, dice peaches. Dissolve starch in cold syrup.
2. Fry chicken in 2-3 tbsp of oil at maximum heat, stirring, until some pieces will become golden.
3. Push the chicken aside, add 1 tbsp of oil on the empty side of frying pan’s bottom and put onion. Fry until it turns slightly transparent and some pieces – golden brown.
4. Stir, add cream (=coconut milk), peaches, corn seeds, salt and curry. Bring to a boil, stir and simmer until the chicken absorbs most of the sauce (8-10 min).
5. Shake up starch syrup and pour it over chicken curry, stir and simmer for ~5 min.
Today I was cooking chicken curry with coconut milk, so I have added syrup in Step 4, while the starch I’ve dissolved in 2 tbsp of water in order to add it now, in Step 5.
One should dissolve starch prior to adding to a dish in order to avoid clumps.
6. To serve the dish put some rice on a plate and top it with a portion of chicken curry.